Gallery | Fifth Night of Protest for Daniel Prude Ends Peacefully After Police Hang Back


(Rochester, NY--) In a significant departure from the heavy-handed and militarized police response that has characterized previous nights of protest this week, RPD officers and NYS Police largely hung back Sunday.

Once again, over 1000 protesters marched from Jefferson Avenue into downtown to demand justice for Daniel Prude.

As they approached the intersection of Exchange and Main Streets, where just one night earlier barricades, armored vehicles, police armed with assault weapons, and dogs had blocked their way, the group formed ranks: a line of elders locked arms up front, while a line of protesters with shields and umbrellas prepared to defend the frontline if necessary.

But police did not meet protesters with pepper bullets and tear gas this night.

Instead, the protest continued on to the front of the Public Safety Building. Lines of cars followed and closed off both sides of the block, with the protest providing its own security.

Police officers and the Sheriffs' department hung back. Most of those who were visible were not wearing riot gear.

Protesters sat in the street and listened to speakers for more than an hour before the event wrapped up peacefully.

Daniel Prude protests arrives at intersection militarized police had barricaded one night earlier

Elders lock arms as protest prepares to march to Public Safety Building

Onlookers raise fists in salute as shield and umbrella brigade passes

Protesters carry makeshift shields and multicolored umbrellas on their way to PSB

Monroe Count Sheriffs' officers hang back on Hall of Justice steps

Supporters position cars across street in front of Public Safety Building to secure the area

Cars secure access to protest event

Protesters sit and listen to speakers Sunday

Sled shield leans against retaining wall in front of Public Safety Building


DARIEN LAMEN is news producer/director for WXIR Community Radio. He can be reached at